In 1978 a group of professionals trained in animal care, formed the Alberta Association of Animal Health Technologists (AAAHT). In the last 20 years, veterinary medicine has greatly advanced in quality and sophistication. Today, people who own animals expect high quality health care and a wider range of services available for the care of their important pets or livestock. To insure this demand for the high quality veterinary care, the animal health technology profession was legislated by the Alberta Government under the Veterinary Professions Act and the AAAHT takes an active role in insuring only highly trained, qualified Animal Health Technologists (AHTs) are performing those aspects of veterinary medicine allowed by law.
The AAAHT was founded to provide continuing education for the AHT in Alberta and to serve, support and register those technologists. The AAAHT is a non profit, non union organization governed by a Board of Directors whose emphasis is on the advancement of animal health technology as a profession so that it's members may better serve the animal health and care industry. The AAAHT has its own set of objectives, bylaws and code of ethics for its members.
Individuals who work as AHTs practicing veterinary medicine in Alberta must be active members of the AAAHT and in turn, be registered with the Alberta Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). Active membership may be granted to an individual who successfully completes the Veterinary Technician National Examination and who pays the prescribed fees. The individual must also be a graduate of an accredited or approved course in animal health technology. All members must uphold the honor and dignity of the profession in accordance with the AAAHT Code of Ethics.
The AAAHT's Objectives:
- Promote professional and educational advancement of the Animal Health Technologist
- Enhance the knowledge and skills of the Animal Health Technologist through continuing education programs
- Promote positive legislation and to speak for the Animal Health Technologists in regard to legislative action
- Develop and maintain a code of ethics and high professional standards of the Animal Health Technologist
- Develop and maintain communication and cooperation amongst Animal Health Technologists, the veterinary medicalprofession, government and industry
- Promotes progressive and humane medical care for all animals
- AAAHT Vision, Mission and Values
The Alberta Association of Animal Health Technologists is a widely respected, unified, and proactive organization serving the needs of members, advancing the profession, and being an integral part of animal health care in our local and global communities.
The mission of the Alberta Association of Animal Health Technologists is to support and enrich our members so that they can provide exceptional animal health care and promote our profession.
- Honesty and Integrity
- Respect and Responsibility
- Development and Education
- Care and Consideration
- Animal Advocacy